Once, a king showed two men a large basket in the garden. He told them to fill it with water from a well. After they __1__ their work, he left them, saying, “When the sun is down, I will come and see your work.”
At last one of them said, “What’s the use of doing this foolish work? We can __2__ fill the basket.” __3__ man answered, “That is none of your business.” The first man said. “You may do as you like, but I am not going to work at __4__ so foolish.” He __5__ his bucket and went away. The other man said no word, and kept on carrying __6__. At last the well was almost __7__.
As he poured the last bucket of water into the basket, he saw a bright thing in it. He picked it up. It was a beautiful gold ring. Just then the king came. __8__ he saw the ring, he knew that he had found the kind of man he wanted. He told him to keep the ring for himself. “You __9__ so well in this little thing,” he said, “ __10__ now I know I can believe you with many things.”
1. A. finished B. did C. began D. had
2. A. ever B. never C. easily D. no
3. A. The other B. Another C. One D. A second
4. A. anything B. something C. nothing D. everything
5. A. picked up B. put away C. took away D. threw away
6. A. water B. basket C. well D. work
7. A. full B. empty C. filled D. clean
8. A. While B. As soon as C. Before D. Since
9. A. have done B. will do C. do D. are doing
10. A. what B. why C. when D. that
4．C。the first man想离开，因为他觉得自己干的是无用功，故选择nothing意为“从事某项工作”。
5．D。pick up意为“捡起”，pick away意为“放好”，take away意为“取走”，而throw down意为“扔掉、丢弃”，比较贴近文意，为正确选项。
8．B。while引导从句时，从句应用延续性动词，before和since不符合文意，as soon as…表示“一……就”为正确选项。
Do you know how to study better and make your study more effective(有效的) We all know that Chinese students usually study very hard for long 1 . This is very good, but it doesn’t 2 a lot, for an effective students must have enough sleep, enough food and enough rest and exercise. Every day you need to go out for a walk or visit some friends or some nice places. It’s good for your study.
When you return 3 your studies, your mind will be refreshed(清醒) and you’ll learn more 4 study better. Psychologists(心理学家) 5 that learning takes place in this way. Here take English learning 6 an example. First you make a lot of progress and you feel happy. Then your language study seems 7 the same. So you will think you’re learning 8 and you may give up. This can last for days or every weeks, yet you needn’t give up. At some point your language study will again take another big 9 . You’ll see that you really have been learning all along. If you get enough sleep, food, rest and exercise, studying English can be very effective and 10 . Don’t give up along the way. Learn slowly and you’re sure to get a good result.
1. A. days B. time C. hours D. weeks
2. A. help B. give C .make D. take
3. A. after B. for C. at D. to
4. A. yet B. and C. or D. but
5. A. have found B. have taught C. told D. said
6. A. with B. for C. as D. to
7. A. to have B. to make C. to take D. to stay
8. A. something B. anything C. nothing D. everything
9. A. work B. jump C. walk D. result
10. A. hard B. common C. interesting D. possible
1. C。表示一端时间，time是可数名词，可以说 for a long time，除此，只能选择C项。
2. A。句意是“帮助不大”， help 符合句意。
3. D。return后跟介词 to搭配。
4. B。此处learn more 与study better为并列关系，用 and。
5. A。Psychologists 的发现，用动词find。
6. C。注意下面表示“以……为例”的表达法的区别： take ……for example, take……as an example，关键是那个 an。
8. C。通过上下文stay the same和 give up，判断是“没有学到知识”。
9. B。take a big jump 意思是“发生很大的飞跃”。
10. C。与effective相互应的褒义词是 interesting。
Long ago there was a poor farmer called Fred. Fred and his wife, Doris lived 1 together in their small old house. One winter night, the Luck Fairy (仙女) visited them .
“Fred, you’re a 2 farmer. I’d like to give you a wish,” said the Luck Fairy.
“A wish?” Said Fred.
Fred and Doris smiled at each other. Then Fred said, “ Thank you , Luck Fairy. We’re very 3 and happy.”
“ 4 we’re old, we still work in the field every day,” said Doris.
“You wok very hard but you 5 very little money. Would you like some gold coins ” asked the Luck Fairy.
“Oh no , my dear Luck Fairy. We’re poor. But we have 6 food to eat.” Replied Fred.
“You can use the gold coin to buy some clothes. The winter here is very cold,” said Luck Fairy.
“Though we haven’t got 7 clothes, we’ve got enough,” said Doris.
“Well, what about a nice new house?” Asked Luck Fairy.
“Thank you, but I 8 my small old house very much. I’ve lived here since I was born. I don’t 9 a new house,” said Fred.
“You’re quite different from other people. I like you very much,” said the Luck Fairy. “I wish you happiness and Luck forever.” Then the Luck Fairy 10 and never came back.
1. A. sadly B. happily C. worried D. anxiously
2. A. bad B. lazy C. good D. unhelpful
3. A. healthy B. careful C. difficult D. important
4. A. If B. But C. Because D. Though
5. A. cost B. lose C. make D. borrow
6. A. no B. little C. enough D. expensive
7. A. old B. many C. bad D. clean
8. A. hate B. love C. need D. dislike
9. A. need B. see C. buy D. build
10. A. smiled B. nodded C. laughed D. disappeared
3. A。比较这四个词的意思不难发现与happy 并列的是healthy。
5. C。make money意思是“赚钱”。
10. D。根据never come back可知仙女消失了。
Mr. and Mrs. Harris had always spent their summer holidays in a small hotel at the seaside near their hometown. One year, however(然而) , Mr. Harris made a lot of 1 in his business, 2 they decided to go to a foreign country and stay at a really good 3 .
They flew to Rome, and 4 at a 5-star hotel late in the evening. They thought they would have to go to bed hungry, because in that 5 hotel where they had been used to stay in the past, no meals were served (供应) 6 seven in the evening. They were 7 to be told that the hotel served dinner until ten.
“Then what are the times 8 meals?” asked Mrs. Harris.
“Well, madam, we serve breakfast from seven to eleven, lunch from twelve to three, 9 from four to five, and dinner from six to ten.”
“But that hardly 10 any time for us to see the city!” said Mrs. Harris.
1. A. mistakes B. time C. friends D. money
2. A. but B. so C. though D. yet
3. A. hotel B. place C. city D. restaurant
4. A. stayed B. got C. arrived D. reached
5. A. small B. big C. foreign D. good
6. A. on B. after C. during D. until
7. A. tired B. interested C. surprised D. worried
8. A. with B. on C. at D. of
9. A. drink B. tea C. beer D. food
10. A. takes B. does C. has D. leaves
2．B。made a lot of money与下文go to a foreign country构成因果关系， 故选so。
3．A。与下文他们住进a 5-star hotel相对应，这里应选择hotel。
4．C。表示到达目的地，reach可直接接宾语， get后应加介词to， arrive为不接物动词，后应加介词in或at才能接宾语，所以arrive为正确选项。
8．D。of常用来表示所有关系，the times of the meals表示“每顿饭的供应时间”。
Mr. Green was ill and went to the hospital. A doctor __1__ and said, “Well, Mr. Green, you are going to __2__ some injections, and you’ll feel much better. A nurse will come __3__ give you the first one this evening, and then you’ll __4__ get another one tomorrow evening.” __5__ a young nurse came to Mr. Green’s bed and said to him, “I am going to give you your __6__ injection now, Mr. Green. Where do you want it?”
The old man was __7__. He looked at the nurse for a __8__, then he said, “__9__ has ever let me choose that before. Are you really going to let me choose now?”
“Yes, Mr. Green,” the nurse answered. She was in a hurry. “Where do you want it?”
“Well, then,” the old man answered __10__ “I want it in your left arm, please.”
1. A. looked for him B. looked him over
C. looked after him D. looked him up
2. A. get B. give C. make D. hold
3. A. so B. but C. or D. and
4. A. must B. can C. had better D. have to
5. A. In the morning B. In the afternoon
C. In the end D. In the evening
6. A. first B. one C. two D. second
7. A. confident B. surprised C. full D. hungry
8. A. hour B. minutes C. year D. moment
9. A. Somebody B. Anybody C. Nobody D. people
10. A. with a smile B. in time C. in surprise D. with tears in his eyes
B。look for sb/sth 意为“寻找……”；look after sb 意为“照料……”；look up sb意为“看望……”；而look over sb意为“检查某人”，最贴近文意，为正确选项。
D。空白部分前面I come 和后面的give形成承接关系，所以应用 and连接。
D。must 不可以用于将来时，根据文章意思，应选have to。
D。与上文this evening相对应，In the evening应为正确选项。
D。对护士的提问, 老人思考了一会儿, 故应选moment。
C。老人感到奇怪, 是因为没有人问过这样的问题, 故应选nobody。
A。老人想捉弄一下这个小护士。按常理, 应是带着微笑取笑她, 故应选with a smile。
Nasreddin was a poor man, so he tried to grow __1__ he could in his own garden, so that he would not have to buy so many in the market.
One evening he heard a noise in his garden and looked out of the window. A white ox had got into the garden and __2__ his vegetables. Nasreddin at once took his stick, ran out and chased the ox, but he was too old to catch it. When he got back to his garden, he found that the ox had ruined most of his precious vegetables.
__3__, while he __4__ in the street near his house, he saw a cart with two white oxen which looked very much like the one that __5__ his vegetables. He was carrying his stick with him, __6__ he at once began to beat the two oxen with it. As neither of them looked more like the ox that had eaten his vegetables than the other, he beat both of them equally hard.
The owner of the ox and cart was drinking coffee in a __7__ coffee-house. When he saw __8__ Nasreddin was doing __9__ his animals, he ran out and shouted, “What are you doing? What have those poor animals done to you for you to beat them like that?”
“You keep out this!” Nasreddin shouted back, “This is a matter between me and one of these two oxen. He knows very well __10__ I am beating him!”
1. A. so many vegetables B. many vegetables C. as many as vegetables D. as many vegetables as
2. A. was eating B. ate C. had eaten D. has eaten
3. A. Next day B. Next morning C. Last morning D. The next morning
4. A. walks B. waked C. was walking D. walking
5. A. ruined B. had eaten C. ate D. had ruin
6. A. so B. and C. but D. or
7. A. beside B. nearby C. near D. near by
8. A. that B. which C. why D. what
9. A. for B. to C. with D. on
10.A. reason B. when C. why D. because
1．D。习惯用语as many as possible 意为“尽可能多的”合乎文意，为正确选项。
2．A。过去进行时强调过去正在进行的动作，根据文意Nasreddin看到牛正在吃蔬菜，故选 was eating 。
3．D。指过去某一天的第一天或第二天早上、晚上，应用the next day/morning/evening。 故应选The next morning 。
4．C。在从句动作进行的过程中，主句动作发生了，这时从句常用进行时态，故选择was walking 。
9．B。do sth. to sb.结构中to后面常接动作的对象。
10．C。牛主人问及Nasreddin打牛的原因，这里需要一个引导词引导 knew的宾语从句，且在从句中作状语，根据上文可知这里应填 why。
Tom grows the nicest vegetables and fruits and the most beautiful flowers in the village. Plants grow in Tom’s garden all through the __1__ and they are much __2__.
Tom cuts some flowers for his sitting room table, eats some fruits and vegetables, but he __3__ most of them in the market. His vegetables, fruit and flowers are so __4__ and beautiful that they sold much more __5__ in the market than those of other villagers.
How does Tom grow these beautiful things? He is so __6__ that he just sits under his orange tree with his radio.
He __7__ the music all day.
That is quite true. Tom __8__ things in spring, summer, autumn and winter. After that he sits with his radio. And everything __9__. It is the music that does the work. Tom knows more clearly that music makes the biggest vegetables and the most beautiful flowers. Plants love __10__ as much as people.
1. A. week B. month C. season D. year
2. A. better B. worse C. less D. later
3. A. buys B. sells C. borrows D. lends
4. A. dear B. bad C. big D. small
5. A. politely B. quickly C. slowly D. carefully
6. A. angry B. busy C. tired D. lazy
7. A. listens to B. hears C. watches D. speaks
8. A. fills B. plants C. throws D. makes
9. A. does B. moves C. grows D. plays
10.A. work B. rain C. stories D. music
7. A。表示听音乐这一动作应用listen to 。